Friday, January 14, 2011

Atlantis

The sound of your footsteps was music to my ears,
Alas they receded, I was left with my tears..
Three score and ten I have waited in vain
I scarce remember naught but the pain.


But hark, what is it I hear?
A footstep, beloved and you are here!
Back to claim your sceptre from me
That night and day a burden heavy.


Again we meet, I surrender to thee.
How I have pined and waited to see,
Once more the hills of the dale I left,
When I vowed to follow thy lead.


But now you have come and I can leave,
To feel again my heart is free,
All that suppressed all these years,
Lay quiescent - suppressed, unheard.


The burden was mine, I shouldered it gamely,
The fruit you have have seen, don't you agree?
Now it is done, I ring the bell,
I ask no reward, only bid you fare well.